International case studies
Guy's and St Thomas' has successfully undertaken a range of international consultancy assignments including:
- assessment of clinical services and joint working with local providers to develop improvement plans
- advice on clinical pathways and how to implement best practice including full pathway redesign
- guidance on clinical workforce development and ongoing professional development of staff to enhance long-term capability
- guidance on achieving internationally recognised quality standards
- healthcare planning advice including medical equipment
- peer reviewed plans for the strategic development of health systems and new services
- assessment and guidance on clinical and corporate governance to enhance patient safety and clinical outcomes
- Visiting Professional Programmes – international healthcare professionals join us for observerships, clinical attachments and fellowships
- Bespoke education and training programmes, following a detailed training needs analysis we have worked in partnership with international healthcare organisations to design bespoke education and training programmes tailored to specific needs.
Qatar Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) service
Following the outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, a partnership was formed between Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) and Guy’s and St Thomas’ to support the development of a Severe Respiratory Failure service with ECMO capability in Qatar.
A joint working group was established involving the clinical leaders at Hamad General Hospital ICU and the project was underpinned by an intensivist educational programme involving theory, simulation and team development. Support was also provided with logistical preparation including unit space arrangements, equipment selection and purchase.
The partnership was recently assessed by the Extracorporeal Life Support Organisation and noted to be outstanding.